Background

Friday 25 September 2009

Good Days




016

Hello lovelies. I hope all is well with you, and you are managing to keep a smile. I have had a BONZER couple of days!


Yesterday started off badly, I felt really low. But, I had a doctor's appointment in the afternoon so I struggled in, hair untidy and no make up, feeling pretty glum. Then I had such a lovely chat with my GP - I absolutely love her to bits. I have no idea why I always get so nervous when I go to see her. We chatted - her son started school last week, so we compared notes. She told me she was bought up in our house virtually opposite ours. We talked about expectations of life - I told her that I had lost my job and Charlie had started school in the last couple of weeks, and both had made me feel very emotional. But that I could see I needed time to reflect, unwind and think about what was important to me. A year ago I ran my own business and had a part time professional job, now I was unemployed. She declared that I seemed brighter than before, and decided not to make any changes to my medication. I have to go back in 4 weeks rather than 2.


I don't know what it was about her validation that made me feel so good, but it worked. I explained, nervously, that I wasn't back to my old self and she said, quite shocked "goodness me, I wouldn't expect it" and that made me feel good too. Knowing that I am doing well, for this stage, was a nice reassuring feeling.


To break up the l-o-n-g text (sorry, I can waffle), I thought I would share some pics I took of the flowers Charlie and I bought in our local town - £2 for two huge bunches of dahlias. And, oh, they're so pretty. I often buy flowers as they bring me so much joy and make my little cottage look a treat. However, I was inspired by Lucy at Attic 24 to try putting flowers all over the house - and what a joy that has been! They have made an appearance in the lounge, the kitchen, the dining room, the downstairs loo and our bedroom. I thought I would share their cheerfulness with you. Thanks Lucy. They look so much better in little jam jars and mustard pots (recycled, obv)



006

So, to today! I went to my first ceramics class! AND I WORE MAKE-UP! I haven't been out on my own like this for about 10 weeks, let alone looked half decent. I was very nervous, but I had a good time. I am completely knackered now though! I made something that resembled a bowl, although I don't have any pictures yet. It's inlaid stoneware don'tcha know! It uses a technique where a pattern is scratched into the wet clay, and then painted with slip (coloured, watery clay) that looks something like this (please note, mine won't, this is just one I found online!)



Inlaid bowl

I developed a heart and spots pattern which I liked. The humble, wonky pot is waiting for me to return next week, when I will scratch back the slip and add more layers, apparently. I'll remember to take my camera next week.



018


After this, I went into Hull - something I haven't done for months. I had a good walk around in the sunshine which was lovely. I eventually went to the Job Centre, something I was dreading, but it was OK and the two people that interviewed me were lovely. There wasn't anything suitable, but I am being sent on a course for executives and professionals (ooh get me!) All I will get is my national insurance stamps paid, but I figured I may as well as I have worked since I was 13 (22 years! Don't I sound old!)



004

This weekend I intend to knit a pair of socks. We will undoutedly visit the inlaws, and pick gorgeous apples from their laden tree. It's the local open studio scheme, so I hope we can pop out and have a look at some other local artists. I also want to take Jonny pottery painting tomorrow - he has to do a school presentation on Art Deco and I persuaded him to produce something in the style of Clarice Cliff. We are both so excited.


I hope your weekends are restful, happy and fun. Lots of love xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment